Bargain Betty

Bargain Betty’s money savvy tips

The “Feeding Michael” project

November26

My brother Michael is arriving this Sunday to stay for a fortnight. Michael is a fully fledged member of theย  Men in Lycra brigade. He teaches 6am spin classes, cycles to and from work, which can be anywhere in Sydney, and then spends his evenings at the local Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club.

Needless to say, he consumes as many calories a day as a small army of teenagers.ย  It dawned on me this week that I was going to need to re-stock the pantry big-time, after my pantry project.

But just what do you feed this calorie monster is my question? So I thought I’d throw the question open and ask my readers for recipes and suggestions for the “Feeding Michael” project.

Your say: please share your recipes and tips on feeding Michael and/or teenagers

12 Comments to

“The “Feeding Michael” project”

1. On November 26th, 2010 at 11:27 am Bargain Betty Says:

How to feed a very hungry teenager:

2. On November 26th, 2010 at 1:19 pm Bargain Betty Says:

I should add that I’ve written a little about eating on the cheap for MSN Money:

Credit Crunch Cuisine

I’m in shock. A good friend admitted she spends $450 a week on groceries. Holy Moly. That’s more than double what I spend on a per person basis.

It’s not hard to eat for less as cheap gourmet recipes are easy to come by. It’s easy to cook a tasty dinner for less than $10, and many I cook cost less than $5.

Just ask your grandmother. She knew how to stretch one leg of lamb to last the week โ€” with leftovers on Monday, meatballs on Tuesday, and soup on Wednesday.

Read more:

3. On November 26th, 2010 at 4:53 pm cedar51 Says:

on a body building page I saw much mention of: Nuts and Bananas

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/healthy-high-calorie-foods.html – this seems to have much better information than the other forum

of course, he could just be given what the rest of the family eats…and then if it’s not enough, cook his own or check out eateries around town!

4. On November 26th, 2010 at 6:08 pm Rob Hosking Says:

There’s these Weight Watchers Recipe cards from the mid 1970s.

Make sure to click on all the arrows. There’s a lot of goodies there. My favourite is the Celery Log.

Mm…MMM.

5. On November 26th, 2010 at 8:45 pm tessa Says:

want me to send you some cakes and biscuits im more than happy to send you home with a few tuck boxes
    and im sure there will be leftovers from the wedding that you can take home i have a giant stack of icecream containers and lids just for that purpose

pasta dishes (big ones) spag bol, lasagne macaroni and cheese, moussaka,potato bakes, giant home made hamburgers
    baked stuffed potatoes and lots of them

and you change ingrediants around and make them taste different , sing out if you want some recipes

bulk foods out with beans and rice and pasta

6. On December 2nd, 2010 at 3:14 pm Bargain Betty Says:

Actually he has been relatively easy to feed so far.He does comment about the protein and calorie content of whatever is put his way. ๐Ÿ™‚ The funniest thing is that every time I turn around to use some bread it’s all gone.

7. On December 4th, 2010 at 5:51 pm cedar51 Says:

maybe you need to get a couple dozen boxes of weetbix for him!

8. On December 13th, 2010 at 4:06 pm Bargain Betty Says:

I’ve come to the conclusion now that Michael has left that teenagers aren’t that expensive to feed – if you don’t buy expensive food. I discovered that Michael eats an awful lot of fresh bread, cheese, avocado, tomato and eggs, none of which are hugely expensive. Shamefully we had very few home-cooked meals. Life was just busy. He didn’t even get the BB Pizza treatment.

9. On December 15th, 2010 at 12:57 am Betty's big bro Says:

@cedar51 The funny thing is for a few years as a child he practically lived on weetbix & milk liberally sprinkled with sugar, more often than not he’d turn his nose up at the meal our mother cooked & end up with the weetbix … a fact he’s carefully edited from his memory since ๐Ÿ™‚

@Bargain Betty … don’t you believe it … he may exercise a lot and burn a lot of fuel, but teenagers (especially boys) are doing that and soaking up protein as well … they need it for their growth spurt. I remember spending about 4 or 5 years consuming meal sized snacks every hour or two and yet constantly feeling hungry.

Bruce

10. On December 15th, 2010 at 9:40 am Virgil Says:

Teaching Dominic (our former teenager) to cook from an early age made feeding him far cheaper- and easier. He would happily make himself a vat of pasta with chorizo and tomato sauce, which as a filler would last him for days. True, he developed a revolting habit of eating it cold though…
    I think the key thing is to teach teenagers to use and understand basic ingredients. To this day Dom (now 22) would far prefer to eat something he made than some processed nonsense of the 2 minute noodle variety.

11. On December 15th, 2010 at 9:41 am Virgil Says:

In terms of teenagers- teaching Dominic to cook from an early age made feeding him far cheaper- and easier. He would happily make himself a vat of pasta with chorizo and tomato sauce, which as a filler would last him for days. True, he developed a revolting habit of eating it cold though…
    I think the key thing is to teach teenagers to use and understand basic ingredients. To this day Dominic (now 22) would far prefer to eat something he made than some processed nonsense of the 2 minute noodle variety.

12. On December 15th, 2010 at 10:05 am Bargain Betty Says:

The other difference between Michael and a teenager is he is house trained and sensitive to his hosts. IE he didn’t immediately go to the cupboard and consumer chippies and chocolate etc. He also made his own meals.

My memory may not serve me well. But I seem to remember it was Ross who ate Weetbix and nothing else for years. Maybe Michael did it also.

You must be logged in to post a comment.